Our route

Here's our planned route - contacts/advice for all destinations welcome! Or why not come & meet us somewhere ;-)

Feb/March - Ukraine to Istanbul, via Moldova (& Transnitria)/Romania/Serbia/Bulgaria (Lisa); south France to Istanbul, via Slovenia/Italy/Greece (Chris)
April - Istanbul, Jordan & Israel
late April/May - north India to Nepal, overland
June/July - Hong Kong, Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam (Hanoi)/South Korea/Japan
August - Hawaii & California
September/October - central America - Panama to Guatemala, overland
late October - arrive in Canada (Uxbridge, ON)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rockin' in Podil

I write this post while enjoying a jar of beer in the Gastrorock pub.  Chris Streets, eat your heart out - it's just like an episode of Supernatural (well, not much but the soundtrack is perfect!).  Note that my beer came with a can opener (useful) and two fossilized fish (??).

After teaching some more lovely students about globalization this morning, I decided to explore the historic area of Podil (in central Kiev).  It's where the merchants used to live and luckily survived the devestation suffered by most other central areas.

I found a fabulous cafe (Sednay Cafe), open for just 2 months.  The owner is a world traveller and has lived in 6 different countries including England and America.  It was nice to chat to someone in English about trivial things - eg. the waitress had braces and we had a good laugh about orthodontists and Ugly Betty!

Then I went to the Chernobyl Museum.  Very sobering, with plenty of artifacts and photos from the disaster area.  It is sad to see how the effects are still ongoing as many people have returned to their homes which still have a high level of radiation, and are expected to remain this way for the foreseeable future.  Also, there is a strong tie with Japan because of Hiroshima, and in 2009 the Japanese government donated a lot of items to the museum (interactive exhibits & video equipment) - only to sadly suffer another nuclear disaster last year at Fukushima.

I was in museum mode by now, so I carried on to the "Museum of One Street", at the foot of Andrew's Descent (Andriivsky uzviz), which would be the most picturesque street in Kiev if it wasn't entirely dug up (new drains I think?).  Hope they get that sorted before the summer and Euro 2012!  The museum is very cute & friendly, with an English leaflet available for just 10 UAH (less than 1 GBP) - well worth the investment as it explains all the exhibits quite thoroughly!  The street has a long history and lots of famous occupants so the museum lays out all of this in chronological order.  They have an impressive collection of memorabilia and it's very nicely displayed.

Then I headed uphill (I think I was the ONLY person going up - it's steep but not that difficult!!), passing many stalls selling various crafts and souvenirs. Luckily there is no space in the backpack for anything (except of course my Ukraine magnet, which I've already purchased!).  At every turn there was a new perspective on St Andrew's Church which is right at the top of the hill.

Finally I reached the top, where there is a park surrounding the History Museum (didn't go in, 2 museums was enough for today!).  Lovely view over the city and down to the grand houses in the valley below - see my album for photos!

Finally I headed for the Gastrorock Pub, which I'd read about on TripAdvisor.  A bit expensive for my non-existant budget but a nice treat at the end of a long day.  Though I do wonder why they are showing a football match from 2009??

Tomorrow I am at an "exhibition" (your guess is as good as mine) and on Friday I have more lessons - my own presentation this time, about culture & language differences in English-speaking countries! - followed by an afternoon at the same exhibition.  Saturday is a full day of presentations about studying English in Canada, and then I will hop on the overnight train to Lviv.  Probably won't bring the laptop so don't worry if you don't hear from me during the next week - hopefully Chris will have time to fill in the gap!

2 comments:

  1. p.s. when I read this it sounded like I was discussing the waitress' dental work with the cafe owner. EDIT: the waitress also spoke excellent English, and it was she & I who talked about Ugly Betty etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I found out on the weekend that the hill with the History Museum is actually where the city was founded =)

    ReplyDelete