Our route

Here's our planned route - contacts/advice for all destinations welcome! Or why not come & meet us somewhere ;-)

Feb/March - Ukraine to Istanbul, via Moldova (& Transnitria)/Romania/Serbia/Bulgaria (Lisa); south France to Istanbul, via Slovenia/Italy/Greece (Chris)
April - Istanbul, Jordan & Israel
late April/May - north India to Nepal, overland
June/July - Hong Kong, Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam (Hanoi)/South Korea/Japan
August - Hawaii & California
September/October - central America - Panama to Guatemala, overland
late October - arrive in Canada (Uxbridge, ON)

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Eating Austrians and buying tombs ...

... at least that's what it sounds like I've been doing if my French pronunciation is anything to go by! I was actually at an ostrich farm and trying to buy stamps (timbres). Well, it's these little cultural misunderstandings that make travel interesting; well, maybe not for the poor Austrian.

My hosts in France have been fantastic. I've been shown around Perigueux; a town in the Dordogne that's been around since BC, and still has the Roman bits to prove it. Thanks for the tour and the cognac! I was also introduced to llama and sangliers (boars to you and me). And mile upon miles of vines.

Monsiuer le sanglier
Vines in winter



Then on to Carcassonne. Not quite as old but rather impressive and exactly the kind of vision I had in my head when I built a lego castle aged about 8.

 I took a turn around the walls and managed to get into the keep. Very atmospheric indeed. The fortifications date from a time when the city was right on the Spanish (Aragon) border, and you can see the Pyrenees from the windows of the towers.

Quite suitably for an 'old town', there were also lots of cats, I assume they were working cats patrolling small mouscular-sized holes.

Then it was on to stay with Mike & Chantal in Valreas. Consummate hosts who own Les Ecureils, a B&B in Chateauneuf du Pape country. You can see a photo of Chantal's excellent truffle brie below.

I'm off to Ljubljana on Friday, so we'll see what Slovenia has to offer, the to Rome on Sunday!





No comments:

Post a Comment